Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Little Help from My Friends!



As I was reading in scripture this morning I was reminded about the men God has put in my life over the years.  I am referring to Godly men who have been accountability partners, mentors, encourager's, challengers, reminders, teachers and just friends.  Since the time I began walking with Jesus at the age of 23, there have been a handful of guys that have really poured into me.  God has allowed these men to impact my spiritual journey by allowing us to experience things together and learn from each other while at the same time, helping to keep one another accountable.  These relationships continue to impact me today.
I am reminded about a time when I came out of Lowe's or Home Depot (I don't recall which one) and there was a guy struggling with getting a huge box in the back of his truck.  I think it was one of those entertainment centers you put together.  It was very large, very heavy and very cumbersome.  He was trying all kinds of ways to get it in the truck.  The cart kept rolling away,  the box would slip off and once I think it came all the way off the cart.  I was able to assist him and  in about 3 minutes it was loaded, tied down and he was on his way.  I am not sure how long he would have struggled if I had not stopped to help.  There are so many benefits to working together.  I think about my partnership with my wife and how much easier our household is to manage because of her incredible help.  I think about my ministry and how God uses my pastor to partner with me to help me accomplish what has been set before me.  I think about my men's accountability group that meets on Thursday mornings and how we sharpen each other and spur one another on to love and good works.
See, we were never supposed to do life alone.  We read in Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil, for if they fall, one will lift up his fellow.  But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up."  This verse is not only referring to a physical falling. (I have fallen and I can't get up! Sorry, couldn't resist the reference)  There are times in our lives when we are feeling beat down and discouraged.  Times when we fall and fail.  Let's not try to pick ourselves up alone.  Allow the Holy Spirit to knit you together with other Godly men (or women for you women readers, same principle)  This is God's design for living in community.

Be Blessed.

Waiting on Him,
ML

1 comment:

  1. hey mike, i read this and it really did help me realize who i chose as friends and whose is there for me when i need them most, thnx a bunch bub and that verse spoke to me, i have been fighting against reading the bible for a long time but that verse really stuck out, thnx again

    ReplyDelete